Hello

Discussion about anything and everything.
Ragman

Hello

Post by Ragman » 9 years ago

Hello, I am new to the forum.
I am in my sixties, being disabled since my fortieth year, in a tricked out Permobil chair and living in Eastern Tennessee. I was born in Scotland, and emigrated to the US just three months before becoming disabled.. That sucked big time, at the time. I pissed off a maintenance engineer in an apartment complex - he had entered my apartment and was looking through drawers - I kicked him out - he took offence, and messed the furnace up - I got carbon monoxide poisoning, and it didn't kill me.  What it gave me is.....  hyperkinetic movement disorder/ hypoxic injury - extrapyramidal symptoms.  what ever that means.
What it gives me is a body that argues with itself constantly, and sometimes hurts itself by opposing muscles acting against each other - digits get dislocated, and other annoying things.

I came here to share my experiences with anyone wanting to hear them. I have lived with this for a third of my life, and have come to terms with it pretty well, so do not have the typical isolation that severe disability seems to bestow on people. I know there are thirty six people locally who are severely disabled, but I have only seen one, in passing. The others are stuck inside, somewhere, and don't get out to see people.  I have a twenty mile distance ability in this chair and sometimes have to charge it twice in one day!!

Anyway, I am new here, and like writing in forums.

lynn

Post by lynn » 9 years ago

Sorry it has taken me so long to welcome you.
            WELCOME!

Tawney

Post by Tawney » 9 years ago

Ragman.. so glad that u came to chat and forum just after I rejoined the chat.  I really feel that I have found friendship with the large cuddly friend that u have become.  Thank you for being you!
love and smooches,
Tawney

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » 9 years ago

belated welcome to dis r us :-)
by now am sure you've formed net friendship with many pals in many different age frames in chat here  :-)