Venting again; I feel scared, helpless, and p*ssed!

Discussion about anything and everything.
Buddy

Venting again; I feel scared, helpless, and p*ssed!

Post by Buddy » 9 years ago

The sun hasn't come up yet. 45 minutes ago, my arthritic, overweight mother called me, to ask me to wake my sister, the only one in our household of three who doesn't need a wheelchair. My mother needed help getting out of bed. By the time I'd gotten into my own wheelchair, and made it to Mother's bedroom, my mom was suspended on the side of the bed, nothing supporting her underneath, and all her weight on her back and shoulders on the edge of the bed! Apparently, her knee(s) had given way when she tried to transfer into her chair. I told her that we had to call for help, and activated her Medical Alert.
I went to the front door to let the paramedics in. I asked my sister to stay with our mother, who was now not only weak, but in pain because of the stress on her back and shoulders. I suggested shoving a footstool or phone books underneath Mom, so that she could sit, but she said no. Meanwhile, my sister was so preoccupied with greeting the paramedics, that she couldn't stay with her. After what seemed an eternity (but was actually about five minutes), the paramedics arrived, and helped her into her wheelchair. I only hope that Mom will finally see to it that the bedrail I bought her a year ago is finally installed. Because I can't get to the opposite side of her bed to install it myself.
The paratransit bus is due in a couple of hours to take me to get groceries (our cupboards are bare). I want to cancel to be here for Mom (my sister is going to some event), but she insists she'll be fine here alone for a few hours; she'll just stay in her wheelchair.
I'm not a fatalist; I believe with all my heart that God doesn't let us face challenges we can't handle. But I feel torn between my own health and disability issues, being unable to adequately care for my mother's needs, and feeling alone in doing so.

Thanks for letting me vent. I know that my issues are minuscule compared to what a lot of other people face. Being able to "scream" in this forum helps a lot.

Eino

Post by Eino » 9 years ago

Here is a good quote, and It's OK to vent, and look at your issues.

"Never bear more than one trouble at a time.
Some people bear three kinds -
all they have had, all they have now, and all they expect to have."
              Edward Everett Hale
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

Tawney

Post by Tawney » 9 years ago

so glad that you thought to come and vent.. we all need to remember we can vent and not be judged.  sometimes I need to vent and don't really want the feedback immediately as in the chat room, however if you need the personal touch I have found 24/7 support there.. with hugs to boot  :-)

Buddy

Post by Buddy » 9 years ago

I want to thank y'all for your more-than-encouraging responses. I'm so thankful for this site, forum, and chat room.

I hope I can be as helpful to others, too.

Take care.