Colourful Metaphors and the Letter F

Discussion about anything and everything.
TiGgEr

Colourful Metaphors and the Letter F

Post by TiGgEr » 9 years ago

Just a little something regarding swearing...

It has been very clear for years now that the chat room policy regarding swearing has been you can swear for colourful emphasis, but please do not swear at people! Our most frequent example of this would be that the following is acceptable "fuck! I stubbed my toe and it really hurt!" and the following unacceptable "go fuck yourself!"
hopefully you are all smart enough to be able to tell the difference, it's all about context!

That being said, here is a little thing about wanting to be part of a social group which is doing things to please your peers, for example, if you want to be part of let's say a Star Trek enthusiasts group, you better enjoy people talking about Star Trek, don't try and enforce the topic of Star Wars on to them, you might find them irritated with you... this isn't exactly the perfect example of what I want to address, but it's good enough, what I want to address is exactly is swearing!

Above I have made the chat room policy perfectly clear, but here is the thing, let's say the particular group you want to be a part of asks you to tone it down just a little bit, that maybe your use of the F word is a little little overzealous, you have a choice, several actually, you can tell them to go F themselves, which will most likely get you removed, this I do not recommend, you can complain & bitch about it which will probably cause arguments and you will enjoy your time less in that particular group, or if you really enjoy being a part of that particular group, you can say "yeah, I can do that" and continue enjoying your time!

I'm not going to have anybody removed for swearing in the appropriate context, but you do have a choice as to how you want to behave around the people you want to be around... if you do not want to succumb to your peers requests because you feel nonconformity is too important, you can try to join another group at another time of the day or you can make use of the wonderful shiny ignore feature!

Also one last thing to remember, you can say it all you like in the real world where nobody can hear you, you can think it, you can scream it, you are only being asked not to type it quite so frequently! But still, the choice is yours!

Your thoughts are welcome  :-D

daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel » 9 years ago

I think it just comes down to what I have always said; you're allowed to say "asshole" but you're not allowed to be an asshole.

Daniel