My new track chair

Discussion about anything and everything.
Ragman

My new track chair

Post by Ragman » 9 years ago

This monster goes easily over the mud I became stuck in three days ago. I can now explore without stress.

Last edited by Ragman on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel » 9 years ago

Very slick!

lynn

Post by lynn » 9 years ago

:-( I am so jealous!  But happy for you too.  I think. Yeah, I am.
        ENJOY!

Ragman

This chair is allowing me to get into the woods on my land - I have never seen them before.

dude2

Post by dude2 » 9 years ago

So happy to hear mobility is less of an issue. Looks like awesome chair!!!!    Dude.

raddad

Post by raddad » 9 years ago

That is a very awesome chair Ragman.  I am so happy for you !!!  Now all you need is an action cam to document your wild excursions.

Ragman

I discovered, yesterday, Wednesday 1st April, that my disability was far worse than I had believed. I never do anything to push it, keep safe and don't take risks, so I thought I was doing good. However, that proved not to be the case, Wednesday April 1st.. 
A track-chair is like a bulldozer or a tank - no suspension, and no articulation in movement. I trundled around, and went over a hump, that stood the chair up quite a lot, then dropped it forwards rapidly, when the point of balance was reached. That is completely normal, it will do it thousands of times on hundreds of trails, but...  I cannot have that happen to me, because of the spacticity triggers that violent motion cause. Once over the hump, my body had a massive spastic episode, where I thrashed about physically hurting my self on everything I hit, including the chair I was seated in. This episode was witnessed, thankfully, by a passing deputy, who called it in, and threw a blanket over me, holding it tight to limit the amount of damage I could do to myself. Ambulance came, I managed to display my health tag, and they did not inject the hypodermic they came out with - had they have done, it could have killed me. They strapped me to the gurney and hauled me to the ER.
They also read the health tag, and kept me strapped down, with a lead apron from xray over me. Some time later, when I finished the mad spastic episode, they untied me, and asked if it happened often. I truthfully told them only once before, in 1994, the result of that episode was the wheelchair that I have been glued to ever since.

I cannot keep the track-chair, obviously, but still yearn to wander through the woods, and down the national park trails, so found a different chair, with wheels, that is good on anywhere someone can go on foot. I do not wish to rock crawl with it, climb mountains with it, or do anything silly, I just want to be able to use it on grass, gravel, sand and such, without it getting violent and having me bash myself to death. PayPal did not put my payment through, so I have massive stress from that. It took until almost close of day today to manage to get the new chair paid for, on credit, that will be paid off by the refund, less stocking fee, and shipping, that the Action Track-chair folk have already sent to the man picking it up. They have been wonderful and are as sad as me that I cannot use it.

dude2

Post by dude2 » 9 years ago

So sorry Ragman! I know you had high hopes for the chair. Try to keep chin up.        Dude