Intro! Advice! Self-Cathing

Discussion about anything and everything.
BrittGOAL

Intro! Advice! Self-Cathing

Post by BrittGOAL » 7 years ago

25-year-old female born with Spina Bifida. While I have the most rare form it's also the mildest typically. I've kicked on 25 years longer than they thought. Wasn't meant to walk, then wouldn't walk long. In 2006 I took my first big hit. Arachnoiditis was found (incision dehisced too) and the doc told mom I would be paralyzed within a couple of months. I got really weak and had to use a wheelchair for about 4 or 5 years. But I regained my strength back and coached soccer for a year (2012-13), then volunteered at my old elementary school (2014-15). And down I went at the end of 2015. I now use a chair almost full-time, only walking around the house.

Since I was 18, my doc wanted me to cath for residual. Well, I hate urology, haven't had any infections and didn't want that interfering with my "normal" life. Now I'm considering it for convenience purposes. Unlike most with SB, my bladder doesn't relax which causes me to take FOREVER tuning everything out to relax no matter how full my bladder is. And since I help homeschool my friend's kids, that's where my problem is. I keep thinking I have to get back and help so I end up just forgetting it and waiting until later. So here I am. Prepping to begin self-cathing. I have a few samples from Low Fric, which I got at a Life Rolls On surf event. Any good advice to help get me started?

Cheers!