Has being disabled made you feel like a target of inappropriate behavior?

Discussion about anything and everything.
StillAlive:)

Has being disabled made you feel like a target of inappropriate behavior?

Post by StillAlive:) » 7 years ago

I've had a few encounters, over the decades, of inappropriate advances by medical staff.  But they seem to have increased since I became disabled.  I definitely feel more vulnerable now days.  At 6 feet, and having some weight behind me, I have always known I could hold my own in a pinch.  HAVE held my own in a pinch.  But now, on o2, in a power chair, I'm not so sure.  Definitely not safe while using a walker.  :?

I recently was outfitted with partial upper and lower dentures.  I went in for my bottom partials.  I noticed that for the first time in my 5 visits to the office, the waiting room was completely empty.  I thought that was odd.  Once I went back to the hallway to have my partial fitted by the dentist I realized all the staff had disappeared.  The denturist put my partial in. Handed me the mirror to see my new dentures.  They looked great, but hurt.  But before I could say anything he leaned down and kissed me. We've never said more than 10 words to each other.

A friend of mine mentioned that because I am disabled I am now very vulnerable to that kind of behavior.  That some people purposely target the disabled.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  If you would rather respond in a personal message, that is absolutely understandable.  SA.