Monopoly's accessibility

Discussion about anything and everything.
peiqiaoc

Monopoly's accessibility

Post by peiqiaoc » 4 years ago

Hi, I am doing a project on game accessibility, can I get some feedback on your thoughts?

I created an adaptation for the game to accommodate players with motor impairments.

Monopoly requires precise motor movements in its game play, including dice rolling, sorting currencies and the movement of properties and tokens. In this project, I created a modification of the game and game hardware to accommodate players with motor impairments. First, I modified the dice rolling method to having players draw from a deck of cards that displays all the possible outcomes of rolling two dices. With this adaptation, players with motor impairments do not have to shake their hands frequently every turn. Secondly, I rounded the values from all the property cards to the nearest hundreds, which means that players will only need to sort through currency forms of whole hundreds. I also created currency forms of 200, 300, 400- 1000 for less sorting. Lastly, I created four cardboard layers along the outside of the Monopoly board and carved out tunnels that lets each player slide their tokens across. This form of token movement requires less precise motor movements, so the players do not have to aim precisely to drop their token. What are your thought on some suggestions. Weaknesses? Strengths?