Being Disabled in the church

Keeping in mind that everyone has the right to believe what they want (and we ask that you refrain from using insults to express yours,) this is the place to discuss all things regarding Religion and Faith.
latrea79

Being Disabled in the church

Post by latrea79 » 9 years ago

This is based on my own personal early experiences in the church as a disabled child.  As a child I can vividly remember attending church on a semi-regular basis,  I can also vividly remember being dragged to the alter for “healing.â€�  As a kid, I would often wonder what was it I need healing from. I was good kid, as far as kids went, at least I thought.  This practice planted a seed that I still struggle to uproot.  In my mind, I am thinking why do I need to be healed, what is wrong with me that I have to heal??  If I needed to be healed then there must be something wrong with me.  In my quest to be like everyone else, I went to the alter to be prayed for and “healedâ€� but the crazy thing was when I returned to my seat I felt no difference, or no change I should say.  So after a few times of going to the alter and still no change I began to realize two things: one what I was supposed to be healed from was my disability and two, there was still no change I was still disabled. I began to think that God must not love me because He will not heal me from my disability. 
  If God did not love me enough to heal me, then how could any human being love me, how could I even love myself? I carried with me a  hatred that had developed for myself for many years, the hatred  became so bad that it developed a life of its own. One day I decided I was tired of feeling like this, there has to be something better than this.  I pick up the Bible and started reading God’s word, the more I read the more I started to understand that we are all created in God’s image, which has nothing to do with who or what we are physically .
I started thinking if this is true then that means one of two things: One, God does not make mistakes, and two, I was created just the way God desires me to be.  If these things are true then why do pastors and other people in the church want to heal people with disabilities, what is it exactly that we need healing from?? If we like everyone else created in the image of God and God does not make mistakes then that must mean that disabled people are disabled because that is God's plan for their lives.
When it comes to the disabled, many times people want to reference Jesus allowing the blind man to have sight or the deaf man to hear. And yes these things did take place but what people fail to realize or understand is that the only reason these events tool place is because God allowed them to. In this situation it will never be a question of can He but will He??? Jesus allowed the lame to walk the bind to see to show the glory of God.  In the case of a disabled person he could correct their situation but HE will only do so if it's going to bring Him glory.  What I am really trying to say through my experience is never look at your disability a curse, but as a tool for His glory and to advance His kingdom.

davidj

Post by davidj » 9 years ago

Thanks for healing my thoughts about being disabled.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » 9 years ago

:-) thanks for sharing your belief  :-)

Dixie

Post by Dixie » 5 years ago

I can kind of understand this too. I recently have been experiencing what I would call mistreatment maybe discrimination because of my looks (I look 10+ years younger than my 26 years as most people say 12 is what I look like, maybe up to 16) I as a Christian also have been questioning things. I also understand we are all created in His image but to me it's almost like I'm feeling if there's a reason for me getting these treatments (having also epilepsy, hearing disabilities as well as a few other internal things) why can't I be shown what it is. All I see is the world against me.

Cactus Jack

Post by Cactus Jack » 5 years ago

Latrea79, God is perfect, man is not. Those preachers that said they were gonna cure you, who knows what they really are. Can God cure you? Yes, God can do anything. But He has plans for you. What those are I have no idea.
But He still loves you.

I believe that sometimes somethings in life just happens, with no spiritual involvement. IOW "sometimes crap just happens". You ended up with your disability, and maybe it was His plan, and maybe it wasn't. Do you think that by some magical prayer that He's gonna come down and do something for you? If so, please tell me what that prayer is and how it's done, because I want so much to get rid of mine!

I'm not saying that to make fun of you, but I remember the same routine from preachers. Amazing how special their prayers were, the more money you gave them the more special their prayers were. Of course, they have to do something for a living.

God loves you, no matter what. It's hard to see that when your eyes are blinded by the brightness of your problems. But He does. And if I finally find a decent church, I'll share that with you. But I will still have you in my prayers.

whitewater

Post by whitewater » 5 years ago

Enjoyed haring this thread. It is unfortunate lot of tel evangelist & some others teach messages that cause lot of damage. It is unbiblical & hurts many peoples faith. Jesus/God loves you just as you are. I am fortunate I go with my dad to church. I know being able to connect with others & feel you belong is so important. It never took off, but a few times in the chat ones tried starting Bible get togethers / studies. That would be so neat if something like that could take off. With the extra rooms not being used that would be a great idea. Ones could share sscriptures, songs, & ones could share prayers & other things too. Just would need enough that would be interested & be part of it also.

Cactus Jack

Yes Whitewater, they do a lot of damage. Sadly, that's just the way it is with them. That is why I have checked out so many churches. You see, I really do believe in Jesus. I really do believe in His Father, God. People can and will let you down, but Jesus will not. He loves you no matter what. And the same for God. I have checked out Church of Christ, Baptist, Southern Baptist, Independent Baptist (honestly, I cannot name all the different factions of Baptist after those, really), Methodist, Evangelical-Free, Mormon, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jewish, Islam, I have a list and it ain't small. And out of all of those, I found THE best church (for me) is the LDS.

Many pastors, if not all of them, depend on the congregation for their paycheck. You no pay your tithe, they no get paycheck kind of thing. The LDS Bishops, they are as human as you and I, but the church does not pay them. There is a lot more, but from my years of experience, I feel the LDS is the best.

Please forgive me if what I am saying is considered proselytizing. That is not my intent.

whitewater

A lot of people searching for the truth look and try to find God in different ways. It says in:

John 14:6 (Jesus says:) I am the Way, the Truth & the Life & no one Comes to the Father but through Me.

To show Jesus is God you can find it here & many other places throughout the Bible too.

(John 1:1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
(John 1:2) He was with God in the beginning.

Who is the writer of the Gospel of John talking about here?
You can find it in a few verses below. It is Jesus.

(John 1:14) The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Who came from the Father, but Jesus.

With all the denominations & religions many think by following them they will find God, but they are missing the most important thing that Jesus is the only Way to the Father and no one comes to the Father, but through Him.

If you really want to find God, find Jesus!

All other religions and denominations are built on a faulty foundation which is man.

Cactus Jack

You are correct.

I know that one argument I commonly hear is how to be LDS you have to accept Joseph Smith as your Savior. Nothing is farthest from the truth. Joseph Smith is only the modern day version of Moses, IMO. Just another mouth piece. In the end we still accept Jesus as our Savior.

whitewater

Any founder or leader of a denomination is just a regular man or woman like us.

Just say you follow a leader who started a movement and everyone does that with you too that person may of led you all astray and lost.

Putting your faith in Christ and the Word of God alone you'll never go wrong at all.

In the book of Acts did the disciples ever teach about a denomination or religion they wanted you to follow they just preached about Christ & why He died and rose for us.

(John 8:12) When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

(John 10:9) I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.