Attitude

The Philosophy, sociology, and psychology of disability.
Eino

Attitude

Post by Eino » 9 years ago

Some people have a positive attitude towards life only when all is well. However, when the going gets tough, their attitude changes instantly, and they become very negative or are consumed with self pity.

There are many examples of people who have hit bottom. Christopher Reeve is an example of someone who had faced challenges. He was a person who was very successful and active, however, he had a riding accident that left him paralyzed. He could have felt sorry for himself. Instead, since the accident he has raised money for research on paralysis, directed a film, and has written his autobiography Still Me.

I recently talked with someone who was having difficulties; part of the problem was they were sitting around just feeling sorry for themselves. My advice to them was "do something productive" rather than sit and think!

Your problems seem larger when all you do is sit around and think about them. When you are active and doing something productive you will find that your mind is no longer focusing on your issues and in fact you may find yourself feeling better.

Be conscious of your attitude. Work extra hard at keeping your attitude positive in all kinds of weather, through all the challenges of life. I know this is very easy to say and at times, can be difficult to put into practice. But you almost have to force your mind to stay focused on the positive things in your life.

Here is a good quote.
"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."
George S. Patton
Last edited by Eino on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

Tawney

Post by Tawney » 9 years ago

Funny how with the way I have been feeling that this was the first thing I read after being away for so long.  I have really struggled the last few weeks and have been slipping further as insomnia has made things so much worse.  I needed these words to remind me that I am so much more than the way I feel.  I have had a productive life although not as much so as I would have liked.. brings me down when my Mom (who has her ailments as well, including cancer for more than 15yrs) can run circles around me and is my main driver and support.  I feel as though I have let so many people down in my life as well as myself for not fighting harder.  Before I read your heartfelt post, I was starting to give up and look at the finish line.  Not a good attitude to say the least so thank you for being there even when I am not.  Time to buck up and go back for the next round.

Eino

Post by Eino » 9 years ago

Glad my post helped you Tawney.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

Cactus Jack

Post by Cactus Jack » 9 years ago

Think of the word "macho".

My
Attitude
Can
Hhelp
Others

How can you implement that into your life to make your life better and help those struggling?
“The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.” -Ross Perot

Tawney

Post by Tawney » 9 years ago

I really liked that cactus jack :-D