Private Messages

Discussion about administrative actions taken in the chat room.

Moderators: daniel, TiGgEr

daniel
Site Admin

Private Messages

Post by daniel » 13 years ago

I'm beginning to get frustrated by the whole private message argument so I'm going to clarify it one last time.

So far, two other chat rooms and a couple random people have started rumors about the ability for moderators to read private messages.  READ MY LIPS!  MODERATORS CANNOT READ PRIVATE MESSAGES AT DISABILITIES-R-US!

Over the years, two (now banned) users come to mind in this, Dawg and Cage.  Both have spread this crap in order to build support for their faltering chat rooms.  Just a few days ago when Dawg trespassed in the room, he publicly (not privately) stated  "And just for your all info.. Watch your chat even what you say In  PM is monitored :)"

This was his way of claiming that moderators here do it while intimating he himself does not.  I call bullshit.

Want proof?   Every room Dawg has ever ran or been a moderator in has been based on ParaChat software.  Here is the Administrators Guide for ParaChat:

http://www.parachat.com/documentation/h ... cripts.htm

Notice two rows down from the green bar, where it says LOG PRIVATE MESSAGES and further down where it can even email the logs to him?

Disabilities-R-Us is based on UnrealIRCd for the chat software.  Here is the complete Administrator Manual for UnrealIRCd:

http://www.unrealircd.com/files/docs/unreal32docs.html

If that is not good enough, here is the original source code for the server itself.

http://www.unrealircd.com/downloads/unreal/source

Note that neither UnrealIRCd or any other IRCd variant has the option to log private messages.

Only until FIVE DAYS AFTER I made this public did he finally admit that he actually was reading everyone's private messages all along.  How many years has he been doing it while simultaneously lying about it to everyone else?  How many of your dark intimate personal secrets does he know?

Disabilities-R-Us has had a privacy statement on the server MOTD for 14 years!  In fact, it's displayed right at the very top of the MOTD   This is what it says:

Code: Select all

This server uses advanced statistical analysis
technologies to detect and deter anti-social and 
sexually provacative behavior.  No communication on 
this server should be considered privileged or private.
Why does it say this?  Because whether you are in a chat room, on a website or anywhere else on the internet, you should NEVER divulge private information to a stranger!  Say something to one person and they gossip it to another.

All of the rest of how private messages are handled is very well documented on this site.

I'll tell ya what, all the doubters get together and have an election where you nominate the smartest technical person in the group.  I'll show that person everything and he or she can then explain it in a way I can't seem to get through everyone else's head.

Daniel
Last edited by daniel on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.