My Definition Of Friendship.

Looking for love or just new friends? This is the place to meet them and greet them.
Eino

My Definition Of Friendship.

Post by Eino » 9 years ago

To be a true friend means being there not when it is convenient to you but being there for your friend. To be a friend means that you are willing to give yourself not only through the good times, but also during the bad times.
To be a friend means encouraging the strengths in others and accepting their weaknesses; in other words, accepting them for who they are. A friend encourages us when we doubt ourselves. They can sometimes see what we can not. A true friend is somebody who can make us do what we can.
Many people you meet throughout your work or though social activities may at first appear to be those that would be a good friend. You enjoy their company and seem to have many things in common. However, the real test comes when you really need them.
Too many people feel that a friend is simply someone you go out with for fun and enjoyment, a party, a movie, or a sports event. This is not a true friend unless they have demonstrated the characteristics they will be there through the bad times as well as the good.  Others, who call themselves friends without really showing it are more like good acquaintances - do not confuse the two.
Friends are people you can count on to lend a hand, help by simply sitting and providing a empathetic or sympathetic ear, who demonstrate through both action and words that they are around for the long haul.
Life will always provide challenges and it is of no concern, except to friends, that these challenges may require a level of support. This support isn't about giving to receive anything; it is about caring, kindness and concern that is based in the genuineness of the person called a friend.

In the end, to be a friend means giving freely and not expecting anything in return.
What is your definition of a friend?
Do you live up to your own definition with your friends?
Last edited by Eino on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

Tawney

Post by Tawney » 9 years ago

Basically my definition is the same as yours and I have spent years friendless.. not including my parents and my son.  I am slowly making some good acquaintances, and a couple that I am forming friendships with.  Time is the telling factor. I am much more likely to be a friend than to have them and am very afraid to trust my heart and truly rely on someone's friendship.. true friendship.. does it really exist? can I find it?  I do quite enjoy being there for others that need someone and maybe my definition of what I require in a friend is too much for most to handle. 
I came back to DRU because I NEED to try.. I need people to lean on and the group left that impression forever on me almost 15 years ago.  Life got busy and I have done it alone for around 14years.  I was hitting bottom with depression and grief and chose to come back to the room instead of going to some group for support.  I knew that I was much more likely to come to a chat -- our chat-- than I would have been to go to a group of people again ( I also have a pretty decent level of agoraphobia). 
Again, a well timed reminder for me that I have people too and they would like to be there while i am struggling to continue.. thank you Eino.

Eino

Post by Eino » 9 years ago

It is to everyone's advantage to have a few close friends. It isn't usual for everyone to have a multitude of friends because a true friend is more rare than some may at first think. Some people think that anyone who calls you a friend is someone you can count on when things go haywire. But, this is not always the case as many have found out the hard way.

Good friends sure make their presence known at times of strife and challenging times and are revealed for their true support when all others seem to vanish. It is one thing to say you are a true friend and quite another to actually step up to the plate when times get tough.

To each of us some rain must fall because life is not always cast in a play that has the script you expect or want. Some challenges are more trying than others and it is even more difficult to find your way through these challenges if you have to tackle them alone.
Life is so much easier if you can talk with a trusted friend who is there for support and not as a judge. A real friend knows when to talk, when to stay quiet and listen, and when to inject some positive opinions and possible other strategies or behaviors.
Last edited by Eino on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

Kay

Post by Kay » 9 years ago

HELLO EINO THIS IS KAY AND YES I WOULD LIKE TO BE YOUR FRIEND IN GOOD TIMES AND IN BAD AS I AS=M ALSO LOOKING FOR FRIENDS.SORRY ABOUT CAPS BUT TODAY THEY ARE EASIERIER FOR FOR ME TO SEE.I AM NOT YELLING. YOU ARE A BLESSING TO THE ROOM AND NOT JUST FOR YOUR MUSIC. IF U WOULD LIKE TO BE MY FRIEND OR START A FRIENDSHIP PLEASE ANSWER. KAY