Off-road mountain climbing wheelchair

Discussion about anything and everything related to assistive technology.
Mountain Wheelchair

Off-road mountain climbing wheelchair

Post by Mountain Wheelchair » 6 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so would just like to introduce myself and my project.

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis last year and misses getting out into the mountains. I've looked around at different wheelchair options and couldn't find anything to suit our needs. It seemed I had no other choice to build a custom wheelchair from scratch. For more info, check out our blog at http://mountainwheelchair.com

Anyway, thank you for accepting me to the forum and I look forward to chatting with you.

Best wishes,

Glyn
Check out my off-road, all-terrain mountain wheelchair project.

Coll

Post by Coll » 6 years ago

Glyn, have you thought about adapting an ATV? Might be easier.
I use an ATV here in the Rockies. We put a special muffler on it so that it makes a lot less noise. At the moment we have a friend that is trying to adapt an electric motor to use on one.

Mountain Wheelchair

Post by Mountain Wheelchair » 6 years ago

Hi Col,
I did think about it. One came up on eBay not too long ago too. However, the mountains here are very different to the Rockies. They occupy a much smaller footprint and are extremely busy with tourists in the summer months. Through the summer there is a voluntary bicycle ban on some of the busier mountains. Taking this into account, I have to be careful that whatever solution I come up, it doesn't upset too many people.
Would love to see your converted ATV though :)
Check out my off-road, all-terrain mountain wheelchair project.

Coll

Post by Coll » 6 years ago

As soon as they get the electric motor figured out and installed I'll see if I can get someone to show me how to get the information somewhere for you. It, as it is, wouldn't be safe on crowded trails. I use out mainly on my own property, off trail.