Spinal fusion surgery recovery.

Discussion about anything and everything.
Bobsingleton

Spinal fusion surgery recovery.

Post by Bobsingleton » 5 years ago

In October 2017, I had spinal fusion on C5 and C6. In April 2018, I had C6 and C7 joined. Today, I still have shoulder muscles that refuse to relax. The result is I am in pain daily.
I am concerned about being on pain meds for over a year. I am concerned about what I can do when my disability expires in October 2019.
I am too old for social security disability.
My question is whether or not anyone else may have had spinal fusion surgery that resulted in long lasting pain. I believe that my pain will eventually pass but it has yet to do so.
Bob Singleton
[email protected]
Charlotte NC

iamblessed2017

Post by iamblessed2017 » 5 years ago

Well I has spinal fusion surgery in 2013 they put 2 18 inch rods in my back to do a multi level fusion from a few crushed vertebrae starting at l4-5 s1 but any who I want you to know that every one is different and as for me I still suffer from pain daily . I was 27 when this happened and have come along way but I have never gotten my quality of life back that I was accustom to another words things I used to take for granted I dread doing things even fun things like going to the beach it sucks because I know I want to go but by the time I get there and walk I can't even enjoy it due to the amount of pain I'm in .I hope you have a good support system it helps a lot .I hope this helps and wish you a speedy recovery

Bobsingleton

Post by Bobsingleton » 5 years ago

Thank you. It does help. I am now living with pain in the back of my head every day. I do not expect this will change but perhaps I will be wrong.
Bob Singleton
[email protected]
Charlotte NC

ZL1

Post by ZL1 » 5 years ago

I had a spinal fusion at C-5 C-6. I remember waking up from the surgery, my surgeon was there and I said “ you fixed it” the pain relief was immediate. I did, and do have some reoccurring pain and numbness, but nothing like it was before surgery. Physical therapy is super helpful for me. Also taking a muscle relaxer is key. I think it’s fair to say that most fusion surgeries provide some, but not complete relief of symptoms. I still have a little pain and some loss of feeling ten years after the surgery. Cervical fusion work muck better than lumbar fusions. I would never fuse a lumbar level issue, they simply fail too often.

Good luck. I recommend physical therapy, stretching and Robaxin taken 3x daily and some excersize. My surgery was a success in my book. It just takes a long time to heal, especially if you are not actively treating or building the muscles surrounding the fusion. God luck, give it time, you will feel better.